Monday, March 29, 2010

the NYC subway

I have always started this post and somehow left it half written. But today i felt inclined to complete it and so here it goes.

The city where cultural diversity so prominently seen, where you can meet people from any part of the world, that's the city of new york. For me a place is all about the people living there and the perfect venue to see such a conglomeration of people is none other that the new york subway.

Riding in the NYC subways was always something i enjoyed, it said so much about the place, it gave you insights of different cultures, areas, local fashion. I remember vividly how my friend and I were often given odd look because we couldn't stop staring. Everything was amusing and i tried not to keep a my constant gaze on people but there are so many interesting subjects and me being and observer could not let them pass without noticing. I don't know if you have ever seen a person and tried to make a story of who that persona is and where he is from, what he did, i do that sometimes. I often wondered where the person sitting next to me belonged to, how his family would be like, when someone got of a stop i  wondered where he might be heading, whether the guy next to me is a traveller or a resident itself, of how the well dressed lady standing in the corner was so old but so hot and how i wanted to be like her when i grew old, arty people always catch my eye and i try to comprehend what their profession might be. I cannot forget the french beard guy in the weird hat whose mic was connected on the neck and  who sang so well, the group that danced on the 14th street subway station , and the strret dancers that carried their amplifiers with them and break-danced, the gothic girl with her piercings, high platform shoes and red hair from my school and definitely i can never forget the girl wearing the magenta thong on her tights, there was just so much to see so much to notice. So how could you ever be bored in a NYC subways. Well but i often made people uncomfortable; but i couldn't help being flabbergasted because of anything and everything around me. In the NYC subway the glance of the eye controls people, a stern expression is enough for another to understand a persons actions aren't appreciated. And i am sure you would believe me when i say ive gotten many such looks my excuse would be i am an observer, not a weirdo.

I can never forget the feeling i felt when my stop came and when i had to get off  my desire to stay in the train and go in loops just sitting there and riding it for ever. But ya besides all the character, its wide spread network is the reason for functioning of NYC and if for some reason the subways froze the entire city would go crazy not knowing what to do. I missed my NYC subway so much today when it took me forever to reach one place to another. AND NOW I MISS NEWYORK.

No comments:

Post a Comment